Saturday, May 16, 2009

Frugal Tip #3 - Craigslist

Craigslist.com can offer some wonderful money saving deals for teachers! Plus, you are shopping locally (always good!) and/or getting items for free right in your own neighborhood!

So...how do you find good deals on Craigslist? You need to know what you are looking for! You can search your surrounding areas for certain items like a book shelf, a rocking chair, school supplies, etc. Some of these items might even be listed for free and all you have to do is pick it up. The items may need a little paint or TLC, but hey you got it for free or really cheap!

Personally, I have listed "wanted" ads where I described that I was a new teacher and was desperately in need of school supplies. I listed a few items such as paper, glue, crayons, glitter, children's books, etc. on my ad so that people were more inclined to offer items that they may have laying around their home. Within hours, I had three people offering me really great teaching materials for next to nothing or for free! One lady gave me a large bag full of art supplies - tempera paint, crayons, colored pencils, rain forest stamps, googly eyes, glitter, pipe cleaners - for free! She said she would rather help a kindergarten teacher out than have materials cluttering up her house! Writing the "wanted" ad was a HUGE blessing for me.

I ended up with hundreds of dollars worth of supplies without spending a dime and so can you! Give it a try! You might be surprised at all the wonderful practical supplies you can get!

**Notice** - While Craigslist can be wonderful, I urge you to be careful interacting with strangers. I do not suggest going to stranger's house...EVER! If it is a large item and you have no other choice, I would make sure I brought at least 2 other people with me and requested that the person had the item outside for my convenience.

Try to meet the person in a public place and bring someone with you. Talk to the person on the phone before you agree to meet. Great deals are wonderful; however, staying safe is much more important!

2 comments:

  1. I also highly recommend www.freecycle.org. You sign up by your city and post and receive items which people would otherwise donate to charity/goodwill. I have gotten 100s of books, art supplies and other goodies for my future classroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny that you would suggest freecycle! I was planning on blogging about it soon! You are exactly right, they do have wonderful goodies! Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete